PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PS 2 Flight Dynamics - Galaxys and Barrel Rolls (Video)
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-07, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Zekeen
Major

Cool PS 2 Flight Dynamics - Galaxys and Barrel Rolls (Video)

Hey guys, haven't posted here in forever, too busy shoving my face into the beta. Anyways, I've decided to share a bit on flight dynamics with PS2 and how utterly amazing they are.

Skill is a big thing to Planetside players both new and old. We want to be able to do things few will try as a result of our effort and skill put into doing it. The flight mechanics of PS2 go well beyond those of PS1 and allow for all sorts of maneuvers to be performed... that is, if you are using a fighter craft. It is generally considered difficult or even near impossible for larger craft, being the Liberator and Galaxy, to perform many "stunts", "tricks", or evasive maneuvers, relying on tail gunners to keep them safe.

While pondering over that, I came across an old thread in PSU, talking about Galaxys and barrel rolls and how the trailer had the disabled Galaxy do a barrel roll on its crash to the ground. Most of the talk was how Galaxy barrel rolls are, or nearly, impossible. That old thread is here http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=45859 in case you are feeling nostalgic to see what the old consensus is on the subject.

After taking a day to fiddle with controls and flight, I discovered how deep the flight dynamics go and how much control a player has over his aircraft. This is my video, and my verdict on PS2 flight - Your Galaxy CAN, in fact, do a barrel roll! (without crashing toward the ground)

For the record, most of the time a Galaxy isn't right side up, it plummets, but using every control you can, and giving it your all, your can do the impossible!

Having no sound (PS2 recording bug), I spent 4 hours tying to add in some Planetside music to keep it more interesting. Hope you guys enjoy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WHiFcD6Ezu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Controls with a mouse and keyboard are great with the game, but for stunt work, it makes it very difficult to spin a Galaxy. I can only hope not revealing my flight secrets cause a hoard of Terran and Vanu Galaxys to crash and burn attempting this. NC Galaxys will be considered collateral damage. All enemy pilots succeeding this only make Auraxis more radical.

Last edited by Zekeen; 2012-09-07 at 09:02 PM.