PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Reaver and other fighters
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-14, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Hosp
First Sergeant

Re: The Reaver and other fighters

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
Teamwork was the best element in PS1. While the devs seek to balance weapons & weapon platforms in PS2, I hope they consider how it could promote any element of teamwork.
For air fighters I see 4 primary ammo choices....AV, AI, and PS2 could add anti-bomber (AB), or AA. Pilots would be limited to 2 of the 4 categories.
So, you can have jack-of-all-trade certs...but you have to pick your poison.
If you want to rape the ground and carry all AI & AV....then you are vulnerable to enemy fighters carrying AA in their fighter.
Want to go hunting Gals & Libs ? Better carry AA & AB....which means you're weak against ground targets you may stumble against.
By forcing specialization, you encourage fighter pilots to either coordinate/cooperate with ground AA or work with other pilots with diversified loadouts and work as a strike force.
1 or 2 air cav, 2 or 3 tanks, and 2 Skyguards was a great way to roll around the PS1 world. One squad could really roll around wreaking havoc with that lineup.
Nothing but truth in there. But for the OP, in spite of how things seem limited in Beta now, the way things are going to work is a mix of what you mention (though seating options are highly questionable) and what chaff has just spoke of.

Everyone will become jack of all trades cert/weapon wise sooner or later, but they can't use it all at once. They do indeed have to pick their poison. The big question becomes what you sacrifice vs what you get and the devs have yet to finish/implement all that. But it will happen.