PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Compatability
Thread: Compatability
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shenyen
Private

Re: Compatability

@Spearka
Hm, the system you posted was already low-end when it was released.

In 2008...

The Radeon 4350 was meant as a graphics card for HTPCs, displaying video and maybe some older games (games that were old in 2008!), it cost just about 40$, while better graphics cards like the Radeon 4850 cost about 250$+.

Even with the those 250$+ cards, you have some problems with modern games, often using lower resolutions and lower settings.

With the 4350, you had to use those lower settings and resolutionbs from day 1^^

If you had a Radeon 4850/4870 or a GTX260, you would be able to play the game with medium settings and resolution of 1280x1024 (I doubt, that your display supports more), maybe you would have to add another 2 gigs of RAM.

But with that graphics card - there is no hope to play the game with enjoyable performance.

I am not perfectly sure, but I'd guess that even modern integrated graphics like the Intel HD 4000 would be on par or even better than your GPU.

And while the Intel HD 4000 may be sufficient for some games with older technology, like Counter-Strike:Global Operations, Planetside 2 is a game with newer technology and a different target audience.

While i love Valve for making CS:GO run on my MacBook (with Intel HD4000), i would never expect from SOE to adapt PS2 to that GPU, because modern games just won't work on that performance level.

Maybe you can add more RAM and a GPU like the Radeon 5770 to your system - it won't run great, but it will run okay.
Without these improvements, there is no way that PS2 will run acceptable.