PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 is a major disappointment
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-17, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
FatherJack
Private

Re: Planetside 2 is a major disappointment

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Without trying to sound like a broken record that was BR 40 that broke the game design and made that possible, and it's exactly the way it works in PS2, you can be anything you want whenever you want. The old BR 20-25 was the sweet spot, you had just enough certs to do one thing well.

The class system personally just stops me getting invested in a character, it's kinda stripping the MMO feeling out of the mmofps
Yes and thats the fundamental problem with BR's for progression. When you hit 20 and everyone else is 20 they want the cap higher. This is what happened in PS1, everyone wants to feel they have progressed a bit and this is what forced the devs to keep upping the BR cap.
Right now almost 100% of my certs have gone into HA and there are many more to go that I want, they can keep on adding to that class with various boondongles but still keep things relatively balanced.
In PS1 the increasing BR meant that everyone is everything, there may be a sweet spot in between but lets not kid ourselves that PS1's system was good. Its very design meant the writing was on the wall from the start regarding multi skilled characters.