PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - new lattice tweet from higby
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-04, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #164
Assist
Contributor
Major

Re: new lattice tweet from higby

Originally Posted by Lord Mondando View Post
Well its more than that. I think two issues to zerg v zerg, that also need being made explict due to their likeliness are.

1) It's going to make most fights pretty bad performance wise - this is a massive complaint about the game in general. Indeed, unless this comes hand in hand with some frankly outstanding optimizations this is a big issue. We are going to see a fair few upset people on this front I imagine.
2) Allmost everyone who champions the lattice, as working in ps1 and being a good idea - does so with the fact in mind that there was the possibility of 'behind the lines' action. Nothing to do with that is on the table, so its either action at the front or in effect nothing.

My opposition to 'lattice' here and elsewhere conceptually does not step from not giving people a better defined front line. Its from making that front line, a very linear affair and the totality of the game.
With the amount of connections it's far from a linear progression. I think people are reading lattice and ignoring what Malorn is saying. As Malorn has described it, I think it won't play that differently from the current hex system. It's certainly going to change how people organize their attacks and which territory they want to go for, but I think the actual size of the fights will be very similar.
As far as performance of the game goes, I don't think that should be a concern. The Crown fights are as large as the game can get as far as battles go and I don't see them becoming any larger from changing to this system. The game runs functionally well for people with low end computers even in massively huge battles that have horrible infantry render distances. I think if anything the proposed system from Malorn will spread the fight out more, because smaller squads will see the ways to circumvent the zerg by moving around it. If the zerg spreads evenly out then the defenders have the option to choke point it up and push through. There's actual strategy involved in this system IMO, which doesn't exist in the current game's territory control.