PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "Higby pls" process explained
View Single Post
Old 2013-06-26, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
phungus
Master Sergeant

Re: "Higby pls" process explained

I want to see what a game like this would play like if invisible god mode wasn't a core mechanic. That was a design decision that people have claimed numerous times was not part of beta (if your comp couldn't handle rendering the objects, that was your problem, not a core gameplay mechanic that caused players to literally generate invisible god mode cloaking fields around them). Is this true, or not? I never played beta.

Alot of you have no idea how aweful this invisible god mode cloaking field can be for aircraft. Especially since it self generates as a protective field around massed players which means often times ESFs get cloaked with god mode at ranges where they can still lock on and lob A2Am at you.

The observation that the devs ignored key advice from PS1 vets about game mechanics are also 100% spot on. I didn't play ps1 but there were two key items Ps1 vets kept harping on: 1) Dedicated Drivers and 2) Lattice. Both have been added to the game and both have been huge successes - these ideas should have and could have been tested in Beta, at leas the dedicated driver could have easily (don't even need coding for this, or if you do the game isn't set up very well, should be able to define driver positions and weapons with a container language). Also dymanic XP was such an obvious thing, seriously the fact that took so long makes no sense. Dynamic XP rewarding players for fighting against the odds really should have been common sense and should have also been in far, far earlier.

I also know game devs are some of the most passionate people out there and they really want their game to succede, so harping on these things is kind of shitty to do. But I really feel like there were some important feedback the devs just ignored cause they thought they knew better, and I can never get behind the decision to implement dynamicly generated invisible god mode cloaking fields that protects and give an advantage to massed players; it's probably the outright worst core gameplay mechanic I have ever experienced. Of course the fact I still play this game even though it has the worst core gameplay mechanic that constantly frustrates me does say there are some very cool parts about the game.