PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Syrian Crisis: Whom To Believe
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-20, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Re: Syrian Crisis: Whom To Believe

Originally Posted by huller View Post
[...]fact remains that the strike occured in rebel controlled territory, which would be a highly unlikely target for rebel forces.
Learn some History about False Flag Attacks.

While I do agree that there needs to be far more evidence as to whom launched the attack, we shouldn't just stand by and let it happen, which is at the core of my arguement.
Well it's good that you now at least acknowledge some solid evidence is actually needed prior to bombing people. But even assuming we knew for a fact Assad's forces did it what course of action do you have in mind that would meaningfully put a stop to the use of chemical weapons in Syria and result in a better situation in that country. Is Iraq better now than under Sadam? Is Libya better than under Gadaffi? Is Afghanistan free from the Taliban and other thugs? Are we in the West (the actual regular people) better off for having attacked each of these countries?

If we do not intend to punish those guilty of using them what is the point of making them illegal in the first place?
People incorrectly equate "International Law" with the law they are subject to domestically within the state in which they live... It's not the same. Syria wasn't even a signatory to the international treaty on banning chemical weapons at the time of the attacks. But what about if the facts point to Saudi Arabia as the guilty party through proxy forces? Will you be calling for the bombing of Riyadh? How about if someone in the US government like John Kerry ordered it on his visit to Syria, will you then call on bombing the District of Criminals.. er I mean Washington D.C.?

We are also not the World's policeman. I'm not sure what country you're from huller, but the US is broke and the majority of the people and especially those that have to actually fight these wars are sick and tired of them... Especially when nothing really good results from all the blood, tears, and $$$ that is spent.

If you think "punishing" Assad is so important are you then willing to go over there yourself and risk life and limb? How about selling your home, car, and any other assets you might have to pay for a bomb or two?