PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"
View Single Post
Old 2015-06-12, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Mordelicius
Major

Re: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Porting PS2 into FL2 would be a massive waste of time imo. It's his comment that annoys me because it sounds like I've heard that before...and here we are.

Console, PC, it doesn't matter. The average gamer in general isn't used to the absolute raping you'll get when you first hop into the game. If these new console players come in with the same mentality they have when they play the smaller, round based games then PS2 on PS4 is going to fail. In no other game can you throw balance out the window by dropping a platoon into the mix. Battlefield doesn't let you go from 64v64 to 64v128 at the drop of a hat.
PC players are more resilient due to longer history of PC players with MMO. Consoles are what, single player mostly and multiplayer at most.

ex: I hear GTA V Online is 20 players at most per map. PS2 is 2000 per map, 6000 per server initially.

MMO RvR PvP is fairly brutal too. One factor is the number of stackable players. It's not uncommon for 50-100+ players facing just 5 players. And those five will quit or switch.

I remember an old MMO where I literally just picked up like 3-4 players before an event and we got railroaded by 50+ high geared, high lvl players. Our faction was decimated because after closed beta, players sniffed out that the strongest players will be on one of the sides, so most players switch. The next week, I scraped about 8-10. After several months, we had equal numbers with rest of the other factions.