PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"
View Single Post
Old 2015-06-13, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Mordelicius
Major

Re: Smedley - "Planetside 2 2.0 in September"

It's a matter of player retention.

PvE and small scale Multiplayer is designed like a race. The reward is at the end. Most of the time is all about killing.

PvP MMO, as PS2 should have been, is designed like a dance. The reward is in the middle and all over.

But as it is, PS2 is all about farming and killing. These new console players are used to PvE and Multiplayer shooter and they won't get their reward because they will just keep dying.

As opposed to a true PvP where it's all about player interaction (the dance), and not necessarily about just about the result.

ex:

- Liberators swooping riskily and dangerously to tank bust a Sundy spawn.
- Infiltrator sneaking out of spawn to kill 1 or 2 players to get to the capture point. As the point is flipping, get flanked by a heavy assault.

or in my case
- Rushing a Sunderer to the front amid the crossfiring to break a stalemate, to establish a forward spawn point for attacker (one of the reasons why I dislike the No Deploy Zone immensely; it's implemented by devs who don't even play the game. They don't understand this. Here I am, rushing and risking my Sundy with low probability of survival. If I succeed, there's this stupid circle blocking my deploy button. What's their 'official' reason? Equidistance between offense/defense. Inane reason. Impractical and concocted from graphs and ether imagination not actual gameplay and analysis.)

As it is, at the current PS2 version, none of these examples matter because there's no rewards/consequences. It's all about the killing and farming for the Directives.

Does it matter if that Sundy spawn dies to the Liberator?
Does it matter if that Capture point flipped
Does it matter if my Sundy sticks and I manage to spawn players close to the capture point?

Atm, no. That's the gameplay they promote. One has to wait 'til September for the PS2 2.0 and that 3 months detached from the PS4 launch.

A PvPer would enjoy the dance as is, but these console players conditioned to enjoy just the result, won't get it. Hence, they will be the first to leave.