PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-17, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
SVoyager
Contributor
Corporal

Re: Cockpit View - [Now Forced per Higby]

Sorry for the long post but hear me out:
IMHO, I am all for forcing cockpits here. Adds to the realism and immersion factor.

Multimonitor I would like but indeed I think it should be used for something else like a map display or chat boxes, stats or other things. Not the main view. Bigger FOV can be a really huge advantage.
There is however the tradeoff you get by having 2-3 displays in terms of performance. They will lose enough FPS to balance things to some extent.
I don't see someone running tripplehead @ 1920x1080 per screen @ 120fps. You're gonna be running at 30-40fps at best and possibly at lower resolution (depending if you are dual or triple SLI / dual or tripplehead) so the guy who has 120fps and can actually see the difference between 30-60 and 120 will have better reaction time than the guy on a tripplehead with big FOV.

Still the guy who has the bigger FOV would have such a huge advantage that the performance drop would not be enough to compensate, so thats why I prefer to keep it to things like map or stats or chat boxes etc on a second screen. But that in itself is an advange over someone who only has one screen with the minimap and his screen cluttered with chat boxes etc. In this case however, the performance drop of running dualhead would even things out.

If the guy runs on sli or even on tripple sli to compensate, then ok good for him, he deserves it. It's a bit like comparing someone running on a single monitor that can pump the FPS at 120 on a 120hz monitor vs someone who has a middle range vid card running in the 40-50 fps with only a 60hz monitor. The guy on 120hz monitor, 120 fps will have better reaction time, thus giving him an advantage, yet this is not being seen as being a problem (and its not a problem, the guy has a stronger rig, good for him and the advantage difference is not excessive).

All that to say that you have to compare the positives and negatives of each setup. Dual or tripple head is not all positive. I could even bring those that runs with 3d glasses, its not all positive either. Single monitor can have his advantage too over them.

As for Trackir. I am an owner of one and comparing it to FOV advantage is not exactly a good comparison. First of all, if they would support trackir (which I very hope they do), that means that its an extension of freelook that you have in other games. Skilled people can be good with freelook. You could use the POV/Hat buttons on a joystick, keyboard mappings, etc. For trackir users, they need to coordinate their head movement while still driving their vehicles/planes which adds a layer of complexity.

I've seen in many trackir videos, people just trying to look at places not caring much about where they are going, only to return back to front view and either crashing or barely pulling up in time to prevent a crash. The video by Gandhi posted a few posts before this one is such an example. At some point you see him looking around and as he comes back to forward view, he's going full speed into a ship, barely crashing on it. Look at 1:05 of his video.

Skilled trackir users vs skilled joystick/keyboard users can make things quite even in the end. The trackir wont give that much of an advantage and can turn into a disadvantage to someone who aint all that good with coordinating multiple different movements! It is important to compare skilled vs skilled and casual vs casual . A casual trackir user will crash his plane often and might have not crashed it if he were only looking forward in the first place! He got distracted by the trackir itself!

Cheers
.02$
SV