PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - "The end of the $60 game" article
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-24, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "The end of the $60 game" article

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
How familiar you are with the iPhone crowd? (The Android users are a little more money-sensitive most of the time.) Most apple customers willingly throw away tons of cash on useless crap (starting with the apple device itself). I've seen people running out of space on their iPhone because of all the games they've purchased at the app store (some totaling more than $1000). Some people may not be interested in developing games for mobile platforms but saying that it isn't a lucrative, large and growing market is equivalent to saying that the Earth is flat.
I never said it wasn't a lucrative and profitable market. I have an iphone, but buy very few things from the app store, and spend most of my time using safari. But I know that with the relatively simple and cheap process of creating a iphone app/game, there is a great deal of money to be made. You give out a free trial, explain that if they like it, you can buy the full version for just $1, and a combination of wanting to play more and the "it's just 1 dollar" mindset, the potential for profit is huge.

I both agree and disagree with what the actual article says though. $60 is way too much for a phone time-waster (or even a tablet time-waster), but I see every justifiable reason for that cost for PC titles (read: not console), if anything simply due to the amount of artist man-hours that went into creating the high-res textures and high-polygon models that we expect of PC titles nowdays. But obviously, some games here suffer from popularity: MW3 isn't worth the price, but I do think that ME3 is. I think that what's really happening though, is a broadening of the gaming market in general. We have a lot of technology around us now and we're finding more time that needs wasting, so we'll be finding ways to waste it through PC games, and through Angry Birds while en route to our home supercomputers.
I agree with this.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams