PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Linda Carlson on Community and Offensive Players
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-19, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
o Solei o
Private

Re: Linda Carlson on Community and Offensive Players

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The negative: Publicly saying that the FPS players are basically allowed to misbehave more.

Was it her intention to say that? I do not know, but that is what I get from it. If it is such a policy to view FPS players in such a way, it should be a private policy.

Either way, I appreciate the message of intolerance for exploiters.
They do have to come out and say it otherwise players in other games (such as their upcoming EQ titles) will point to the standard of behavior in the shooters they own (PS titles) as justification for behaving the way they do. They have to be clear that each genre has its own standards, and I'm reasonably certain that anyone who has played FPS games for any period of time is well aware of how much more of a cesspool FPS communities tend to be.

Case in point: In slightly cartoony MMOs like the EQ franchise, encountering someone playing the game with their kids is not that uncommon. However, the other night I encountered a dad trying to teach his ~10 year old daughter how to play. As is often the case with new players, there was some confusion as to whether or not they were talking in local voip or squad voip. The disgusting amount of trolls that came out of the woodwork with less than a dozen people in the entire WG was astounding. It's a sad state of affairs, but if they were to not be more lenient with the standards of conduct in FPS games, they'd wind up banning a rather sizable amount of the community.