PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return
View Single Post
Old 2013-09-15, 01:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #210
monkjunk
Private

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Kill cams kill tactical sniping, and that is it. I often use a silenced longshot bolt action for overwatch/flanking/scouting. I use the longshot because it has a high standard muzzle velocity, so when it is silenced it is still relatively high. Even so, mid-long range silenced sniping is a whole new game. Even a 50m distance between two different targets can mean that you cannot take both instantly, as you must zero in for each one individually due to the large amount of drop compared to the standard amount. Drop is not consistent either, so although you'll eventually work in an eye and be able to go "Two mildots should be enough... *Bang*...... got 'em!" alot of the time you'll need a test shot at something away from but at the same distance as the target to see where you need to aim. So, silenced sniping has not just got a 100 cert cost, but requires you to learn how to snipe all over again, and when you work for so long to be proficient at moving unseen and sniping with a silenced weapon, having a target come up behind you for no other reason than he saw you on the kill cam is real bullsh*t.

Now, I don't normally camp. Sometimes I do so I can recline back and essentially play "duck hunt", because that slow paced gameplay can be fun at times, but on a whole I don't normally do it. My original outfit, Omega Company, focused on small squad work, and now in AG7 we're implementing the same ideals. Normally when we'd attack, say, an amp station we'd go for the targets that were out of the way or unexpected, perhaps a shield generator on the opposite side of the base. So, out of my four man squad three would go in the room and overload whilst I would move between overwatch positions, staying at each for maybe a minute or more, depending on what angles I have and how many targets I can see.

Remembering that I hardly ever get seen and I use a silencer, I generally only die when I run into an enemy whilst on the move who I can't take down with my commisioner or I move into the room because my team got downed. Also remember that I often stick to positions for a minute or so, although I am constantly moving between them. If they were to implement kill cams, someone who would otherwise not have detected me due to my use (and subsequent training) of a silencer and hiding/stealth techniques would be able to get the jump on me because they saw me on the camera. Tell me that's fair. Tell me that although I went to all this effort to stay hidden, not engage targets until I had a clear shot, learn how to snipe all over again and find a nice concealed spot to stay in for about a minute before moving, it's fair that he knows all the ins and outs of my current position.

Kill cams killed sniping in BF3. It would happen all the time. you get sniped, you see where he was so you grab a jet or something and go rip his ass up. It nerfed snipers even more than they had been already, and the BF# sniper class was already pretty terrible.

You want to balance kill cams? Give the killer the exact position of the kill-ee in relation to him/her for the next 5 minutes after they spawned. Although this would be unbalanced... But the one who has been killed knowing the exact position of the killer is not?

EDIT: Also, sneak attacks do not have to be a one use thing. If you snipe someone from 5m away and they don't see you, chances are they'll think it was a distance shot and look elsewhere. A kill cam would show them that no, in fact you were right behind them.

Last edited by monkjunk; 2013-09-15 at 02:01 AM.