PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - PS Code of Honor Pact
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-30, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Re: PS Code of Honor Pact

Originally Posted by GodlessHeretic View Post
Your concept of what's "destructive" and "enjoyable" to this game is an opinion. One i do not share. If you want a "fun" fight, then take it up someplace else where it or you makes no difference. We wage war on Planetside.
Perhaps you know the old saying: "Everyone is entitled to their own set of opinions, but they are not entitled to their own set of facts." You and I may disagree on what particular tactics are destructive to the game and which are enjoyable, however it is simply a fact that certain tactics were seen by the community at large as unenjoyable and the overuse of those tactics caused people to leave the game. That isn't based on my own opinion of those tactics, it is based on the voiced expression of players leaving the game because of them. We don't merely "wage war" in Planetside, we play a video game for entertainment. If the only objective in this game had was to turn pixels from one color to another we'd all be ghost hacking 24/7.

All of this is irrelevant. I have no pity for victims, especially those that somehow expected different.
I couldn't care less about your pity, nor, I suspect, could the 'victims'. The point of the analogy to the funeral (which MAD brought up) was to draw a parallel to how trolls can ruin gameplay, and my response to it was to note that the community as a whole objected to those trolls. That they (the community) would do so shows that there is indeed a sizable number of players out there who felt there should be a modicum of decorum in the game. This thread is directed at those players, not the trolls who will do as they will regardless.

Save your personal attacks for someone who cares. I am not that person. The problem here is what is considered social interaction. Our opinions on this subject differ.
While I will admit that my impression and description of your personality is unflattering, I mentioned it not as an attack but in order to frame the following sentences, which answered your earlier query as to why the players felt the need to have an in-game funeral for their fallen friend.

Again, this matter of opinion that you seem to be hot-blooded and flustered over. Personal attacks just make you look weak and your argument invalid.
Once again, my (albeit unflattering) description of your personality as I have seen it in this thread serves to frame the context of the following sentences, wherein I describe why (though it would appear to be unimaginable to you) there are many players who would uphold a 'code' for the common good of an extended lifetime for Planetside 1.

Once again...matter of opinion. Your arrogance is starting to irritate me a bit. You also seem to be completely disregarding parts of my previous post as well. Either that, or you can't read very well.
That the common good is the extended life of Planetside 1 is indeed an opinion, as it happens though, it is a common opinion. That is to say, most of the players who played PS1 enjoyed the game and wanted it to live on as long as possible. Many of those players are hoping that it will be playable again shortly, once it goes F2P, and the point of this thread is to see that it remains playable for as long as possible, because that is in the interest of all of us who will be playing. That it is an interest shared by the majority of players would make it a common interest and working towards it would be what one might call the common good.

As to which parts of your post I am completely disregarding; I must say, I don't know what part I may have disregarded, but I can understand your irritation at me having skipped over it, as surely it held the entirely of your meaningful argument (as all the parts I did address seem to have been drivel). Perhaps you'll be so kind as to quote the part of your post I overlooked?

I read them. I don't agree with your "guidelines". I also don't agree the reason they were posted in the first place. Just like all other social interactions, this will be determined by numbers. Plain and simple.
You seemed of have misinterpreted my intent in specifically citing (and emphasizing) the lines I quoted from the OP. I didn't quote the guidelines, nor the reason they were posted. I quoted the lines which stated the guidelines are voluntary and are expected not to be upheld by some, but that if they are upheld by many it will be overall beneficial to the game. There is some undoubtable irony that you would seem to misread both my words and my intent so shortly after criticizing me for having done so...

Knock it off. You're not saving anything you twit. You have no control over how Planetside dies. No one does except the people that own it.
While I, as a solitary player, do not have any control over how Planetside dies, the player-base as a whole does have that power. Afterall, Planetside will likely not die because SOE shuts the servers down, Planetside will die when no one plays it anymore (just as now, while the servers are running, the game is dead). So, once again, the point of this thread is to voice ways the player-base can use the power it has to extend the life of the game.

There are a number of reasons to drop a generator. The fact that you seem incapable of pondering why and it's impact else where in the game bothers me. Otherwise, you'd be whining about this alot less.
Well first of all, I am very well aware of reasons to drop a generator, having done it myself very often during my Planetside career (perhaps it escaped your notice, but it actually features prominently in my signature). What's more, I don't believe I ever whined about it in my post, and certainly not so much as to reach an objectionable level. What I did do was note that the Planetside 1 community as a whole recognized that there were times when the generator was dropped and it ruined an otherwise fun fight, and that those players would frequently show their dismay at having lost that fight by TK'ing the gen dropper. Of course, the intent of me bringing this up was to show a case where (despite your assertion to the contrary) the majority of the playerbase was more interested in a fun fight than winning.

The same thing happened when MARKOV invaded Emerald. Just about everyone worth a shit from all three empires on Markov picked one empire (TR) and steam-rolled. The CN invasion differed little in intent and execution.
I could go into some detail about the motives and actions of the CNs, but as it happens I don't need to, you've posted about it yourself, here. As you point out in your post, the playstyle of the CNs was just to 'steam-roll entire continents' in campaigns that were fun for neither the enemy (you) nor the players on their same empire (SgtMAD's post following yours). The point, therefore, in bringing it up is to show that there are indeed destructive playstyles, and they are better avoided for the overall well being of the game.

All it did was point out to all of you Planetsides' one actual flaw.
While I don't know that I would go so far as to say this is Planetside's only flaw; I would agree that it is a flaw nevertheless. In a perfect world we would expect that SOE would be able to correct the problems of destructive playstyles, however as I mentioned very early on in this thread, we cannot expect SOE to do anything about it, therefore it is in our interest to work together as a community to see that as many players as possible disavow such destructive playstyles themselves.

You did state your opinion. Then you also stated that my opinion had the capacity to destroy planetside. You also managed to not actually engage my reponse in any meaningful way either. Ok...i don't know what words mean now...

/facepalm
In so far as you offered a response, I certainly engaged it. I stated (openly, and without diversion) that you are certainly entitle to play in whatever fashion you so choose, however if the majority of PS1 players choose to play in such a selfish manner it will be to the detriment of the game overall.

No one likes being on the ass-end of a ass-kicking they can't avoid. Lame or otherwise. The CN seemed to understand this, and were not interested in letting it happen. They didn't break any rules, or hack the game in any way, they simply played the game. They were more willing to do what it took to make sure their tribe/community had fun playing Planetside. That's how Planetside works. How it has ALWAYS worked. Every bit of fun you derive from it comes at the expense of someone elses. Ally or enemy.
I completely disagree with the assertion that every bit of fun derived from Planetside comes at the expense of someone else's. In truth, some of the best fights I ever played in were fights we ultimately lost. The point of the game is to have fun fighting, not mere winning. After all, if all I wanted to do was 'win' I could sub-up right now and spend hours upon hours winning my way across Auraxis with no troublesome enemies trying to fight me. The fun comes from the fight, not merely the outcome, and if a positive outcome comes at the expense of a good fight, the community as a whole would often express their disapproval (see: above references to gen blowing)

That's what they all say. I'll getcha though. I'm a patient guy.
All evidence presented thus far would lead me to believe you will in fact not 'get' me, but I suppose over centuries even a small stream can crack mountains; I must admit though I wouldn't expect it to happen before the Second Coming.

Last edited by Mightymouser; 2014-03-30 at 03:32 PM.