PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - List of PS1 issues that need fixing for PS2
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-27, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: List of PS1 issues that need fixing for PS2

Most of this stuff has already been addressed by the PS2 team or is now by-design.

-Wonky grief system: that would often punish victims (e.g: intentionally landing a galaxy on top of a tank, tank driver is now weapons locked).
Punishing the "victims" is a necessary part of any grief system to prevent people from abusing it.

Here's an example - intentionally standing in front of tanks, blocking their path. That is another form of griefing. As the system cannot know whether you are intentionally standing in front of the tank, the tank driver was being reckless, or if you were just not paying attention to your surroundings and giving the tanks some room. Either way, grief system worked well to account for all of those possibilities and assign some grief to everyone. End-result - stay out of the way of tanks. Paying attention to surroundings is a good habit to be in regardless. But some people didn't learn and just kept getting run over because they were erratically running around expecting everyone to move for them. Those poeple blamed the grief system. Working as intended I say.

The grief system was actually very very good and one of the better systems from PS1. It used frequency of griefing activity and current grief level to assign either a little grief or a lot of grief. If you were a reckless driver and ran over lots of poeple, more and more grief. If you were an idiot and getting run over by a lot of different drivers, you'd get more grief than the driver did.

I've never seen the example you provided where someone lands on a tank driver and he gets instantly weaponslocked. The only way that's happening is if there's a severe bug in the system (which is a bug, not a poor desing), or the tank driver had lots of grief already and/or a lot of recent grief activity. Another name for it is "edge case". It certainly wasn't rampant.

For PS2 Higby mentioned the grief system would also take time played into account, giving veterans a little more leeway compared to brand new players (who may have been created for griefing purposes). This makes sense with the F2P element.

Grief system was great. It punished people for being bad and taught them fire control, situational awareness, and better habits. Well, assuming they actually stopped and thought about why they were getting grief.

I never had a problem with the grief system, and I rarely went over 100 grief (and that was when I was being reckless myself or TKing a few asshats).