PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Re: Reality check -- playing PS1 for the past three days

Originally Posted by The noob View Post
Hmmm, when it comes to TTK, I think that BF2 and 2142 got it right in terms of TTK for large scale warfale. It's slow enough that if you're shot at from a distance, you'll probably have time for fight or flight, but if someone sneaks up on you because you and/or your squad wasn't attentive or watching your flanks, you'll very likely have either a very biased fight on your hands, or more likely than not, out right lose.
/nod

Upon reflection, I concur. You're exactly right. It rewards the resourceful sneaky guy but gives the tyro a chance, at least at mid-long range. I honestly never raged at anything in BF2142 like I did in PS1....

...but then I never loved it anywhere near as much.

I remember my first poplocked fight very clearly -- it was on one of the desert continents, the one with the big high soaring rock formations you could actually run up on and snipe from, with that lush desert-y track by Don Ferrone -- and it actually scared me a little. I thought, Jesus H. Christ, this isn't a GAME. It's war, a real war, fought in a virtual environment. It's two or three self-organizing swarms trying to maul each other to death. And here I am in the middle of it. And I really love what's special about the gadgets and mentality of my faction, because they are keeping me alive.

We must have all felt that way at one time or another, or we wouldn't still be here.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2012-06-29 at 03:16 AM.