PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - THE solution for Darklight.
View Single Post
Old 2004-08-19, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Red October
Second Lieutenant

I'm a cloaker and there IS a problem with DL.

1) There are days when it seems everyone and thier mother has DL. What do I do? Switch out to Agile w/ my grunt set up. Extreme measure do to extreme over usage. Why cloak when everyone is going to see you anyway?

2) I use DL as a cloaker specifically to hunt down other cloakers! Chances are they won't have it and all I have to do is hang around recently hacked towers, bases, entrances and fliker it on and off and sooner or later, me gets another kill.

3) People only flicker it on and off when something looks suspicious? Thats a truck load of bull shit. I have seen more occasions than I can count where a zerg (or small squad) will head towards a base or tower and the first thing that happens? People with DL turn it on and start looking around tree's, rocks and other obstructions (hell, I even do it myself....as a cloaker). I actually have changed my tactics to just crouching right out in the middle of the open (and hope I don't get ran over)....but as of late, more and more people are turning it on out in the open. Running out of tactics and ideas quick...

4) #3 brings up my other point...why should a cloaker have to hide behind tree's? That in itself should tell you something. He should be able to stop, crouch and no one see him.

5) How often do you see a CC gaurded by one guy with DL? Quite often, everyone else is outside of it in case of troops...but only one guy w/ DL? That not only tells you how easy it is to take down a cloaker, but its also an insult.

6) This point is unrelated to DL, but it happens more than you think. Enemies running right past me like nothing is there, then one guy w/o DL walks up and blasts you...WTF?! Sony!

The role of a cloaker keeps getting reduced...more and more. Thats why you "see" us out there looking for sheep that strayed from the main flock so often. We can't hack into bases or tower's easily anymore...like I said, you only need one guy with DL to gaurd the CC. Granted getting rid of DL will only make cloakers completely overpowered. You don't want us on the battlefield...but we've been forced onto it against our will.

My suggestions:

1) Give us more items to hack. Allow us to hack spitfire's, motion sensors and mines if you have CE.

2) Give BEP for hacking if your in an infiltration suit (50 BEP and up if enemies in building...but only if your in an inf suit).

3) Before you jack a vech, have a secondary mode on the REK that allows you to just deconstruct the vech w/ half the time to hack. Or even allow to jack a stationary occupied vech (with longer hack time of course).

4) Allow us to hack spawn tubes with a time limit (just like equip terms).

5) Allow the secondary mode on a REK to basically disable Equip, Vech and Med terminals for everyone. Just like blowing it to smithereans w/o the boom. Engineer or Hacker can fix it.

6) Give us a second holster. We need a small fighting chance. When you catch us with a REK in hand...you caught us with our pants down.

Everything I mentioned above will give more reasons for a cloaker to hack instead looking for weak guys, afk, etc on the edge of battle. The other option is to mess around with everyone's coveted DL.

1) Make it a 2 slot cost implant. Make someone actually think about getting something else.

2) Shorten the range...but this really doesnt help much. Just forces a person to make a longer scan. Once they get a glimpse of you...they no which direction to spam shoot...and its pretty easy to kill a cloaker.

I personally don't like the option w/ messing around with DL...afterall, I'm a user of it too. But, giving cloakers more options beside going after someone on the battlefield I'm all for.