PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Is Planetside heading for worse or for better?
View Single Post
Old 2004-03-17, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Lilbird2431
The game has become a complete zerg fest. There are NO organized operations anymore. This is partly because there are no working alliances still in play and because the influx of noobs to this game is atrocious. There are very few organized outfits left, the lag continues to get worse and many players are capping out and leaving.
There are still plenty of organized ops, it's just that few CRs get on the same page to actually coordinate real operations. I was on Emerald last night with the NC and I was quite surprised to see the NC holding 5 continents. I went to do a /who teams to see why there was such dominance and was floored by what I saw: TR-36%, VS-33%, NC - 31%. The Empire with the smallest population was holding half the world. I thought that perhaps the Surgiles had returned in force until I saw that the CRs were actually leading and getting troops to the right places to blunt invasions. Didn't matter how hard the enemy tried, there was a force there to repel them. Since the VS (and I'm assuming the TR as well) didn't organize themselves, they kept losing out to the better organized NC. Organized armies > disorderly mobs any day of the week.

Granted, the idea of capitol buildings seems fun, but it will wear off soon after it is implemented. (remember the LLU?)
Maybe I'm unusual, but I still find an LLU base a refreshing change from sitting at an empty base for an arbitrary amount of time. Capitol buildings, broadcast WGs and the Dominion system added a LOT of changes on a fundamental level. Until players have had more time to adapt to it, I'd say that's another reason you can't get organized ops going readily. Too many people trying to figure the new stuff out.

Surgile was never an exploit, and SOE is angering more players who could end up reducing their play time significantly or just leaving the game all together, than they are pleasing players.
Using Surge as an Agile is not an exploit. Using Surge as an Agile because you know it makes you warp and harder to hit and you can therefore rack up more kills because you've removed the possibility of being hit *is* an exploit. Had the Surgiles not abused it grievously, the Devs would not have reached this point. Are they going to piss of more people than they please? Maybe, but a lot of that has to do with the hundreds of players that already left because they DIDN'T do anything.

Third person view being taken out is even worse. How in the world are we going to drive our prowlers now? You do realize how wide those things are right? Vehicle driving is going to suck horribly.
Dude, read the thread. Smoke was considering it, but has decided that it will probably stay. He was only thinking about it because of it's attachment to Surgile abusers, but since there are many people who use it for productive reasons (other than a cheap way to find cloakers), it will probably be unchanged. I don't think there was ever a chance of it being removed from vehicle drivers at a minimum. At first I was against infantry being able to use it, but then again the point that it represents that awareness (hearing, smelling, intuition) that you can't really put things in to represent...seems to be a valid point, even if I don't use it indoors.

Perhaps my view on the game is skewed for two reasons. One that I'm a veteran who's been playing since last March (beta) and I know there were better times for PS (summer and other times), and two that I'm a TR on Emerald and whenever I've been on we've been getting pounded so bad I don't suppose we could start any kind of organized op/raid. But these reasons are minor and in my opinion the game is not heading for better any time soon.
During beta, there was no lattice, hence no front lines, hence no real "army" size formations. Now there are such things. Should there be a reason for the zerg to spread out (such as more than bases on the lattice)? Yes...but until things settle, another major upheaval in gameplay probably isn't smart.

I'm TR on Emerald too, and I've seen my outfit run tons of organized ops (nothing beats Prowler platoons). CDL undoubtedly runs tons of organized ops. Many other outfits do, you're confusing the fact that people deserted the TR during Lasher 2.5 (or whatever version number applies to the bugged one) and the massive change in the way that the game is played with this last patch. If your definition of zerg fest is 60 people on either side hammering away at each other, then I'm afraid you've missed the entire point of Planetside. It's about big battles...and big battles require you to get lots of people in the same place at the same time.