PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Diversity on the battlefield + class system
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-03, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Azren
Sergeant Major

Diversity on the battlefield + class system

As far as I understand the idea behind PS 2 class system is that everyone can unlock every basic class in a very short time. As you advance in battle ranks you will have the option to unlock various aspects of the said classes, like sidegrades. However there is no limit on how many classes your character can have unlocked, only how deep you can go in them.

Wouldn't this mean that everyone would have access to every kind of basic weapon/vehicle after the first few days? If so, how would the battlefield look like; on a map with dense forest wouldn't we only see an insane amount of air cav, while on wide flat areas a huge number of tanks? Isn't the diversity of the battle in question here?

Another thought about this system is the following: Imagine riding your vanguard and blowing up a stray foot soldier. In a minute that very same foot soldier will be back in a reaver blasting your tank. Of course this is something that can happen in PS too, however unlike PS 2, not every "stray foot soldier" will have reaver certed.

Being able to unlock all possible basic vehicles would mean that you have at your disposal the best counter to whatever the enemy throws at you.

If what I wrote above is in fact the case, there is a very simple way to balance the diversity one character can have. A very similar way to the current cert system. Allow players to only select up to a fixed number of classes at the same time. For example a character can have all classes unlocked, but at spawning he can only select MBT driver/max/engineer/Heavy assault, because these are the roles he pre-selected. Of course the pre-selection can be changed at any time, however only with a time penalty of 6 (?) hours.