PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-05, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #207
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: The Issue of the 10%-20% Power Differentiation

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I doesn't add variety - it adds grind. Its something you need to do or you don't stay competitive.
You can absolutely have power progression while still keeping things competitive for everyone. Simply because this is a shooter. It's not an RPG, or space spreadsheet sim. It's a shooter. It doesn't take very much imagination at all to see how it will work.

And on top of that, I think it's something that PS1 was lacking. If I've been playing for 6 months, I want to earn the right to be able to reload a little faster. Will something like that destroy the competition? Of course not.

Of all the complaints about COD, you don't hear people bitching about "Oh you unlocked extended mags, that's no fair, I quit" Now, if they do something stupid and give your bullets twice as much damage, yeah, that obviously would create a huge rift between new and veteran players, but thats not happening now, or 10 years from now.

Progression in mmo's is not new. Power progression in an fps is not new. You always have to keep in mind Planetside 2 is a shooter, not an rpg.