PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Goal: Creatiing and Sustaining Epic Battles
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-18, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Post Goal: Creatiing and Sustaining Epic Battles

One of the redeeming qualities of PlanetSide in the earlier days was the ability for the creation of conditions for the epic battle to form. The challenge to sustain these conditions, while occasionally partially met by the stubborn defiance of specific outfits, should be in my opinion, one of the goals of this game. I think a very close examination of this desirable situation should be high on the list of things towards which to work.

What caused these conditions to form? A few that I noticed were anywhere there was a choke-point that led to a critical juncture point in a wider battle. Bridges, valleys, and other natural features provided conditions that would wind up causing an epic battle. Critical towers with their crucial spawn points would sometimes lend to this scenario.

Also, I would be remiss if we didn't take into account the ability of small squads with great leadership, skilled troops, and a willingness to fight against a larger foe ("Their arrows block out the sun!" reply: "Then we shall fight them in the shade."). If these small squads stubbornly refused to give up and were skilled, they could begin to create the conditions needed for an epic battle.

These are not exhaustive as I am certain many of you have experienced different factors leading up to and contributing to the epic battle.

I am hoping that the developers are examining the factors that resulted in the formation of these conditions. I think we would all agree they were what fueled many of us to stay with the game.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><