PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Goal: Creatiing and Sustaining Epic Battles
View Single Post
Old 2011-01-20, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Re: Goal: Creatiing and Sustaining Epic Battles

I may be in the minority here, but I always felt that the game lost something during beta when the lattice system was introduced, which heavily encouraged the massive battles.

I enjoyed to some extent the whack-a-mole style of game that we were playing before the lattice. You could run off with a group of people and make serious headway in capping bases, sometimes you ended up in tense group vs group fights not much unlike playing a traditional FPS, but in PS, you never knew if that base two groups were fighting over was going to be the flashpoint for a 200 person love fest, or at the very least.

Solo hacking bases was bunk and it definitely needed addressing, but I think the lattice system that developed pushed the game too heavily into a zerg on zerg type of fight 100% of the time, where as before the lattice, huge fights happened, but you had the option of engaging in smaller more tactical fights where group leadership and teamwork were more apparent.

I'm definitely not advocating for less epic battles though, that is one video game experience that PS delivered that no other game ever replicated. I just like to hope that in the sequel, there is an easier way to bust the lattice or something to give people the option of jumping between large and small fights.