View Single Post
Old 2011-08-10, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Timmy
Private

Re: Making this work

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
See this video for more details about why its good and where it can go wrong:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...rotransactions
I did watch this video and it does bring up good points. Being an MMOFPS there will be nothing to do if there aren't other players around to shoot. A model like this can almost guarantee healthy population numbers as long as they properly advertise the game this time. It's far less of a mental block against dropping "$50 for a game that might kick ass" than to know you have to spend "$50 and then an additional $5-13 a month for a game that might suck." The former shows optimism the latter pessimism.

Considering I saw TV commercials for the new CoD and then it went to have 2.6 million people playing on the first day - coincidence between advertising and population? I think not. $650 mil in 5 days return on investment and risk of advertising justified? I think so.

I don't necessarily want to bring up the fact that these are console games but I sort of do considering the mixed signals the guys gave regarding if this will be available on PS3. Console gamers are used to buying a game once and playing it as long as they want. If it indeed out for PS3 and they choose not to use proper and widespread advertising that will make people optimistic that the game might kick ass and it's worth trying it out then it will be a shame.