PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Sniping Mechanics and Headshots
View Single Post
Old 2012-01-08, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
texico
Master Sergeant

Re: Sniping Mechanics and Headshots

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
lmao i must be the most unlucky person in planetside.

ive played many fps games with osok snipers and they are not a problem. players adapt, and move from the cover of one location to another,constantly moving while in the open.

if your just standing around in the open not using cover you deserve to die.

Well as I've said, what the player deserves or whether they should bottle up and get over it is fine to say, but ultimately if they do get over it, they'll change their game in a way that demotes the presence of infantry in field battles.

And also, "standing around" is as a lot of people are suggesting a person dying from a one-shot kill would be doing is pretty exaggerated. You can be sniped with a one-shot kill even if moving, which is what most people would be complaining about (they'd probably reasonably expect to die somehow if completely stationary in the open). Even if that's not the case, if a sniper's following you with his scope you only have to stop for a moment, and most of the useful things infantry would be doing within the body of their empire in a battle would mean standing still - healing yourself or others, repairing vehicles, laying mines and spitfire turrets or field turrets, using a CUD, boarding and leaving vehicles, none of these things would be possible if people are waiting to snipe you.

And, I mean from what I've heard BF3 has had lots of complaints about its sniping. And also, most of those FPS games have perhaps 32 enemies in the biggest arena-style battles. PS2 could have what, 500? Whatever the utter limit is, it's going to be much much bigger. You're probably going to have bands of 20 Snipers on a hill that overlooks a base or the front line, which is how it tends to work in PS1. If players are

A, Getting killed with no ability to react or in any way prevent their death post-engagement
B, This is happening regularly because of the number of people doing it

You can bet anything that they'll

A, Get frustrated, complain, have a lesser opinion of the game, leave altogether
B, Stop doing whatever they're doing that's leading them to this scenario even if they enjoy it and it's good for the game (which in this case is Infantryside)

Last edited by texico; 2012-01-08 at 02:40 PM.