PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - News: Some new interview with Matt Higby + character customization
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-20, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
FIREk
Captain

Re: Some new interview with Matt Higby + character customization

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Someone brought something about time to unlock skills. They said how in EVE, that even if they started today and never stopped unlocking their skills that they would never catch up to the people who've been playing since the beginning.

I really hope PS doesn't take this route. I guess it's a reward/incentive for veterans but it's kind of disheartening to noobs because they know they'll never catch up to the veterans.
They won't be able to catch up, but it won't be on the same scale as in EVE.

In EVE, for the first month or so you can't really do too much useful stuff. If you want to play PvP, all you can do is join a fleet pilot a fast el cheapo frigate and tackle (crowd control - slow down enemy ships, prevent them from warping out, disrupt their systems etc) enemy ships. If your friends are flying Tier 2 or Tier 3 ships, it will take you a year to properly catch up (to have a proper ship with a decent fit and reasonable support skills). That's a huge gap that not everyone is prepared to cross, given the necessary time investment.

In PlanetSide 2, the gap is pretty small and can be easily jumped with player skill. Simply put, you can always blow someone's head of with a shotgun, even if you only just started and they've been playing since day one.

That vet with his 3 year old char may be piloting a high-spec Mossie, but by tomorrow you'll be able to shoot him down with the AV launcher you're just about to unlock. By the time you have a high-spec Mossie of your own, his may have slightly superior maneouverability, radar, whatever. But at the end of the day it will be all about personal skill, with infinite certs giving the vet a 20% statistical advantage at best, if we're to believe what Matt Higby said.

Originally Posted by Desoxy View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about that, since skill training time seems to be fixed for each skill (independent of how much you have already unlocked).

My personal guess is one character per server since they already confirmed that you won't be able to be in two different empires on server - at least at launch.
True, my idea was that if multiple characters per server were allowed, this is how the skill training would be capped, assuming they went the EVE route.

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-07-20 at 08:42 PM.