PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Flight VTOL
Thread: Gameplay: Flight VTOL
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Flight VTOL

Its not a bad idea for how to discourage hovering but still allow it for certain purposes. One way is to make it hard to hover, but invariably people could master that, but as long as only a few of the good players did so it is probably OK. To this I think of BF2142 where the vehicles were a lot harder to control than PS. It was hard to keep a VTOL hovering and steady, and if you dipped your nose you went forward. Since most vehicles aim straight ahead it made it hard to over and direct the pilot's weapons at the same time. Instead the pilot could hover and let the gunner(s) do the damage. This is what I mean by not understanding the mechanics. If it works this way the hovering might not be a problem at all because its difficult to hold steady and you can't really hover & shoot without starting to move forward. Still some pleyers do get really good at it, which is OK by me so long as it's not tons of people capable of doing it.

That said, the idea you have seems like anotehr way to a similar thing. But to develop your idea further, how do you plan on handling the situation where the hover bar expires - what happens? Does the aircraft crash? go forward? Is there somethign the pilot can do to recover?