PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience.
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Re: Low FPS? Ailos' guide to having a better experience.

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
FSB doesn't really even exist any more. If you have Intel but don't have an unlocked multiplier (Intel k-series) you adjust Bclock. That fiddles with basically everything and you're not going to get much out of it.

On memory.
You're not going to see 15% more real world performance going for 2133 over 1600.
That $20 is a full %50 increase in cost. And that kind of memory is prone to incompatibility and instability.
Going out and replacing your 8gb of DDR1333 with 8gb of 2133 is probably one of the least cost effective things you could do, IMO.
If you're in the midst of a comprehensive upgrade that $20 is probably better spend on CPU or GPU.
I want to echo this somewhat. Going from DDR2-800 to DDR3-1600 will give you a noticeable performance improvement. Going beyond 1600 currently shows little additional gain. I am not of the sort of person that recommends swapping your DDR3-1333 for a -1866 (that's a consideration that I had personally as well) simply because that won't justify spending the $60+ on the premium kit that can support higher speeds but also no doubt comes with some pretty heat sinks. But if you're building a system, most modern mobos (Intel and AMD alike) support DDR3-1600 at the default configuration, and there's really no reason to go below that.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark