PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-05, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Balancing Aircraft/AA with Altitude

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
I dislike, in general, the concept of attacking from where another can't shoot you back. My preference would be that lib bombs and gal hot drops must take place within AA range of the ground. The counter to air should not be required to be other air.
I agree with this as well. Liberators are the only aircraft that can attack ground targets from high altitude effectively. However - if bomb drop rate remains what it was in PS1 it was very easy for any infantry that was paying attention to avoid Liberators. Same thing for moving vehicles. Libs were the biggest threat to targets that were stationary, like an AMS. I think this is acceptable because it gives you reason to control the sky and have dogfighting aircraft. It would also be reason to put down high-alitutide effective AA guns. Engineers could build these or modify base turrets to be high-altitude AA guns to ward off Libs and galaxy drops.

All other aircraft are not effective against ground targets when they are at high altitude, so ground targets dont' really need to worry about high alititude aircraft.

The concept of high altitude AA vs low altitude AA is ok, except for the fact that a low altitude aircraft can easily become a high altitude one, and vice versa. If a low altitude AA can just as easily switch to high altitude AA through an alternate fire or alternate ammo, all is good.
True, but if ground based AA wards off aircraft, did it not accomplish its mission? The aircraft buggered off or died.

Also, I didn't talk about "Medium" altitude, so medium altitude is the killzone where both high and low would be moderately effective, so aircraft would not want to hang out there. Any aircraft moving between high and low would be vulnerable to both for a short time. It would take some time to escape from the threat of low-altitude, and I imaine that aircraf twon't be able to climb super fast so there's always risk.

Also, low altitude aircraft would be vulnerable to high-altitude aircraft. I think it gives more value and gameplay options for pilots who like dogfighting and gives those players strong strategic value in the battle.