PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Couple thoughts on MAX's and Air Vehicles...
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-23, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Couple thoughts on MAX's and Air Vehicles...

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Just a reminder, Reavers melt to AA faster than you can say Jackie Robinson, so don't start comparing them with tanks. It really doesn't take much AA to totally deny a large area to aircraft. Also it takes a full salvo of rockets, without missing, to take out 1 infantry now. The rocket spam is nowhere near as powerful against infantry as it was.

#Justsayin
As a self confessed AA whore, I would actually like AA to be a bit less dominating. AA should be all about direct fire machine guns or flak pouring a lot of lead into the sky, with the accompanied loss of effectiveness as range increases. AA doesn't need to be a 400m overpowered area denial weapon.

Using weapons like these would also give AA vehicles lesser secondary roles as direct fire ground AV/AI, so you're not so bored/useless if there is no air.

Non AA ground vehicles and infantry should also share a greater burden of their AA defense. Didn't care for how 2 units were the only real land based options vs air. Turreted machine guns should be pretty effective against air that hangs around. AA should be great to have, but not guaranteed death if you have none.

TL;DR

Less overwhelming AA.
No/minimal tracking AA, so damage falls naturally with range.
Greater reliance on various ground vehicles with turreted machine guns for self defense, as well as infantry AA, and small arms.

I love playing AA, but I can see how it was far too frighteningly effective at driving all the air away from the battle. Air deserves a chance to dart in and out with a decent chance to live.