PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Planetside 2 Needs Prone
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-10, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #818
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Originally Posted by mirwalk View Post
@Khrusky
Yeah as I said everything you do with prone can be done with crouch. Prone just makes things twice as hard for people on the other end.
Depending on the scenario it could be an attacker (open areas) or a defender (closed areas).

A proper squad using tactics, armed with prone and voice chat in game? Will be nigh unstoppable defenders. With crouch they will be very good defenders. It is a matter of degree, one which I think prone in certain situations moves a bit to far and thus would be better left out of the game then in it.
Only when you're trying to out-shoot them. Someone attacking you from a hidden location is just as hard to find if they dive back behind a wall after every shot and keeps changing location as someone who uses prone (probably more so).
Crucially, counter-camper tactics are unaffected by prone as they rely on getting into very close range anyway.

Again, I think that prone only helps if you're trying to out-shoot rather than out-manoeuvre them. well-co-ordinated squads are always great, but that squad of prone defenders won't be able to stop a wing of aircraft bombing the bejeezus out of their hidey-hole. Cracking defences is a well-known skill.

I will agree that for people playing defensive roles properly, prone is a benefit to them because it will mean that they're harder to initially spot. However, there are plenty of counters to this. Guys with thermal sights would be one. Prone players are not unstoppable.

Originally Posted by mirwalk View Post
it would be difficult with choke points. You step out to throw and get blocked by another player, you die. One guy misthrows and it bounces near the door, you get a breakup of the attackers and maybe some casualities.

You are also assuming a grenade lading close to a heavy will kill him if at full health, cause with a medic that is who will be up there.
Well if you can bounce grenades around corners then in many cases you may be able to throw grenades in without any risk to yourself. I was thinking of people rotaiting in so that all 5 of you throw your grenades within a couple of seconds. As long as the first person's grenade is pretty good, considering prone players are such easy targets for AoE at least one of them will have to move to avoid the blast, which makes every subsequent throw easier. Alternatively MAXs? We know they won't be able to prone.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.

Last edited by Khrusky; 2012-06-10 at 04:29 PM.