PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Fixing Spawn Camping & Sundy Wipes
View Single Post
Old 2013-10-29, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mordelicius
Major

Re: Fixing Spawn Camping & Sundy Wipes

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
It's bad enough that there even ARE shields, 5 second invul after passing through it is just going to be another freebie from the game that would make it more of a controlled deathmatch than it already is. Some other solution is needed. How about base redesign that prevents 10 tanks/sunderers/harassers from taking up circular positions and blanketing every door/top awning of spawn rooms? At least force mostly only infantry to be able to get in close. However, we still need a way to defeat a base through attrition and shut off their ability to spawn. In general, spawn camping is not the problem, it's the focus on one spawn room per outpost and the ability to have tanks blanket splash damage on every square inch of a spawn room's exits.
It's not just vehicles that are spawn camping. it's also infantry. Example: Towers. If there is a 5 second invulnerability, players won't stand close to the shield exits because noone can score an easy kill and it will leave them open to counterattack. Also, it doesn't have to be 5 seconds. It could be 4 or 3 seconds. As long players are given enough time to get out of the room not take damage from a dozen players pointing at the door. I did say that players coming out cannot use weapons, or do repairs/heals. And if they use abilities, the immunity will auto-cancel.

Also, repairs are very much overpowered already; allowing repairs from within a sunderer would be insane. I'm sure for tanks it's different, but splash damage from infantry AV rockets is a non-factor against the engineers if you're actually trying to kill the sunderer, and every shot you fire hoping to hurt engineers adds extra time for the engineers to repair any damage you did do.
Not only Sunderers are easy to destroy. Engineers repairing are easy targets just repairing outside. Btw, I mean repair of sundy inside once deployed. I know what's going to happen if it's allowed while moving, it will turn to a battle Sunderer. It's not like an Engie can outrepair a rocket launcher, tank, turret or Max. Have you shot a Sundy lately?

This would allow sunderers to be able to deploy even closer without repercussions, and have base spawns protected, which together will create more meat-grindy fights that could only be won by bringing overwhelming force. You need the ability to destroy sunderers, and adding radar against minelayers/C4 would be an extreme casualization (in the sense of making it easy for the team owning the sunderer) that makes that hard. Some people just need to stay and defend the sunderer, instead of immediately flinging themselves at the base.
We won't be having this conversation if there's no No Deploy Zone. Sunderers are even more vulnerable since they now lack cover. The NDZ was unnecessary. It was a band-aid to poor base design. Apparently, they wanted the Defender-Attacker spawn to be equidistant to the capture point. To which I say, false equivalency. Defender spawn is indestructible. Attacker spawn can be blown up easily, hence they require manpower to defend. In addition, what's stopping defenders to spawn Sunderers anyway?

Taking out the no deploy zone is a good idea, but there needs to be some kind of limit on sunderer effectiveness for spawning if they are going to be unlimited again. Perhaps a sunderer could carry say, a charge of 400 spawns maximum? (number for example only)
I've suggested Spawn Jamming Sunderers, before, in this forum as an alternative to NDZ way even before they released it. If you deploy it and the AOE radius encompasses the target sunderer, then that Sunderer cannot spawn new players (they can deploy but not spawn). That would have been a better option. The Sunderer blocking-deploying-destroying meta would have added depth to the fight.

Imagine, the Sunderer got jammed. And you see the culprit counter Sundy on the minimap. Players will go for it and try to destroy it (while the defenders now try to defend it!). They opted for the stale and senseless NDZ....