PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #175
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Probably not on ultra; smedley recently tweeted that ultra is designed for graphics cards that don't currently exist.
Yep the new previews have stuff from higby giving a tad more detail.

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/planetside-2/1225448p1.html
I was a little surprised to hear Higby boast that PlanetSide 2 had graphical settings built in that can bring any modern PC to its knees. "We have a shadow distance setting. If you go in and crank that up to ultra or max, which aren't even available in our UI right now, it does shadow rendering for your entire view distance. Being able to have shadow rendering going out two kilometers at stencil level is something that you just can't do," he said.

Ever since Crysis took a lot of hate for building in an "ultra" graphics setting that was unplayable on the gaming hardware of the time (and thus becoming the butt of the "But can it run Crysis?" gag), we haven't heard too many developers proudly talk about how our PCs can't possibly handle their game. But Higby's approach is smart: those options are only available via text commands, only to be enabled in the menu (along with uber-high-resolution, 8096x8096 textures) when GPUs catch up to SOE's future proofing in a few years. The first thing I think I'll crank up is the draw distance -- I did notice a bit of terrain pop-in as I flew over bases that I'd like to eliminate.

also

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-shooter-today
"The engine right now has options that we can't even turn on," he says. Crikey. "Our goal has been to build a scaleable engine, something we can continue to add features to seamlessly, without having to do an engine revamp like we've done for several of our other games." He goes on to explain how the engine is prepared for much higher resolution textures, for far greater draw distances, for more detailed environmental effects. "It's impossible to be future-proof because who knows what the future's going to bring, but the ability to have graphical features that are going to be relevant in the future, that's something we've included very intentionally."