PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Dedicated driver certification for MBT
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-30, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Lumberchuk
Corporal

Re: Dedicated driver certification for MBT

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
The TR should get it gratis, out of the box. The other two empires should not even be able to cert it.

If this makes anyone butthurt, and the fact that we get half the number of tanks for the same number of players isn't 'balancing' enough.... well.... in that case I want a howitzer cert for the Prowler so I can make it more like the Vanguard, and both TR and NC should have pontoon certs so our tanks can float. Then we can all be balanced and equal and stuff.
This suggestion to me is a little extreme. Faction differences is one thing but leaving out gameplay options just because you randomly picked one faction and not the other is not okay IMO. Now if the previous suggestion of buffing tanks with more players in them were to be implemented, I could see faction specific buffs being used (TR gets more speed, NC more armour or firepower, VS gets more turn rate/less damage falloff) but as I said before it is far less likely to be implemented and I would be satisfied with just the cert itself.

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
Unless SoE wants to throw dirt in the PS1 players' face, they will implement it.
I think your going a little extreme here. SOE will implement it if they have time to, and if it works gameplay wise. It has nothing to do with PS1 players people need to stop saying that. I do agree though that PS1 tank battles did feel awesome with the driver and gunner as 2 separate people but if it doesn't fit I don't want them to force it in just for the sake of nostalgia

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
Its 3 am so I didnt read the full thread but did read several pages.

I feel the 3 seater should completely supplant the 2 seater, period. Didn't play PS1 here so this isn't vet bias.

Aside from the obvious improvement in accuracy of the main gun, it would punish seat switchers by forcing them to give up their movement to fire. Tanks are not one man machines. Tanks take whole crews to operate. A gunner, a commander, a driver, a secondary gunner, a loader. A 3 man tank is far from demandign too much. It is still a simplification.

I'm too tired to completely flesh out my arguement but I feel this way solely to punish zergers and to not allow them to be effective in a tank. Planetside is coop not lol720codwinbitchezzz!111!
I agree this is not "lol720codwinbitchezzz!111!" and I doubt it ever will be. However it is also not Arma II or even Red Ocastra 2. 3 person tanks would be a little too far IMO, unless they make a separate heavier tank that requires 3 people to operate. Not only would it be much harder to implement but it would be impossible to operate alone, which would mean that if you were new to the game and did not have any friends playing yet, you would be SOL if you wanted to drive tanks. I know you think that's how it should be, and yes, your probably right, but I know SOE disagrees. Everything they have done and said in regards to certs, vehicles, etc. says that a day 1 player should not be limited from any gameplay experiences. (This is why you don't have to cert to drive tanks at all any more)

Here is a summary of the thread so far if you can't read it all (at least from what I have read)

The cert that is being suggested from my understanding is very simple (magrider a tiny bit more complicated). The cert will allow you to give control of the main gun and turret over to the secondary gunner who would normally operate the AA/AI gun on the top of the tank. You would not have to use it, but those that wanted it could use it. Whether or not it was more or less effective then 2 players in individual tanks would depend on the players driving them and their playstyles. I personally feel that a trained driver gunner tank team could go head to head against 2 equally trained single player tanks, but some others disagree (thus the buff the 2 person tank argument)

There are multiple solutions for the magrider too. As suggested in the OP a simple redesign could move the gun and make the turret rotate.

Or

There is always the option of just switching the guns between the driver and secondary gunner. This would mean the driver would have the AI gun on the front while the gunner could have the AV/AA gun on the top. If people really get picky about balance with this change simply give the other two faction tanks a coaxial AI gun that is fixed facing forward like the magriders gun.