PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Heavy Cloaker Revamped
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-11, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Heavy Cloaker Revamped

In agreement with Zombie. Specialization is a tradeoff - more effectiveness in one area at a cost of effectiveness in another. Classes force you to make that tradeoff in some fashion.

Tank drivers and pilots are less effective outside of their vehicles. MAX pilots are less effective outside their suits. Light Assault will be less effective in places where their jetpacks aren't as useful. Engineers will be less effective when there's nothing to repair or destroy. Medics are less effective when nobody is taking damage or dying.

Every class in Planetside 2 will have built-in tradeoffs and infiltration is no different.

You have lots of options

1) Go someplace else where your skills will be more useful.
A lot of warfare should be going on in PS2 on the same continent and on different continents simulatneously. There is no need to confine it to a single base. I would expect the reason you aren't considering this is the current sad state that PS1 is in with its low population converging into one area at a time and conflict being driven by base captures. With the territory control and resource system of PS2 I expect this to change dramatically so if you don't want to fight at an interfarm you don't have to.

2) Be creative and find something within your skillset that you can do that will be useflul.
Zombie mentioned repairing/healing people and basically performing one-stop-shop duties. I had a few infils in my outfit who did that in the early days of PS and it was nice when our grunts didn' thave ot put away their weapons and repair up. I suspect it'll be a lot more valuable in PS2 when there's no 3rd person to watch around the corner while you self-heal. There could be other things you can do as well, like work on planting a virus or bring in an AMS, or scout out other entrances and see if there's one that isn't as heavily guarded. Or guard one of your key spawn points (like a tower/AMS).

3) Switch to a role more suited to the situation.
Higby also stated that we'd be able to learn the basic roles of other classes within a day, giving medic, engineer, and tank driver as an example. So having a light assault or engineer or something else to do if for some reason you simply cannot function as an infiltrator and cannot possibly find something you could be doing spend a day and learn another role that interests you and fall back to it in those situations. Medic and Engineer are obvious choices, and Engineer might be required anyway to unlock combat engineering which I would imagine you want if you're going to do a lot of infiltration, assuming they can still use CE. Higby also said we'd like what we see with the PS2 cloaking experience. Just have to wait and see what that is.

The solution is not to make every specialization work in every situation. That defeats the whole purpose of specialization. No one is forcing you to specialize deeply into one thing and completely neglect everything else. If you refuse to do that then accept that you chose that path and deal with it. If you can't spend a few days training up other classes that you fear you need to use for any significant amount of time then that's your own fault. If you can't find other ways to be useful within your role of choice then that too is your own fault. The paths exist, though in the context of current PS1 the population is too low for that to work out. I highly recommend that if your context is Planetside as it exists today that you take it with a grain of salt. It really is nothing like what it was in the first few years in its prime.