PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Colorblindness: a response to T-Ray's Massively interview
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-01, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Re: Colorblindness: a response to T-Ray's Massively interview

Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
What do other games do to solve this problem?

Im having a hard time trying to recall if any other games I've played have had colour blind options.
Call of Duty: MW games have alternate HUD coloration options for the names that float over characters (I think it's blue and something instead of red and green). Also, the models aren't color-coded for anybody, so the color blindness there doesn't come into play.

I'm with NewSith, though. Just because other people don't go out of their way to be color-blind friendly, doesn't mean PS2 shouldn't. As CutterJohn says, the tech's there easily to allow for color substitutions. Work with some colorblind players in beta to come up with effective palette substitutions for a "colorblind mode" that don't become unfair when used by non-colorblind people, either. If there's no such advantage, I don't think people will be upset that other people might not be seeing their awesome customization correctly (since there's no incentive to use the colorblind mode unless you're colorblind), and the colorblind folks get to play on a level playing field with everybody else without being shunted into the TR to get there.

At a bare minimum, we need some colorblind friendly UI options, that must include (for it to really be colorblind friendly) persistent friend or foe tags at most visible ranges. The Advanced Targetting implant wasn't really good enough in PS1 to substitute for color sight, because its range was limited (especially when discussing vehicles) and it required reticle-over, forcing colorblind people to actively namecheck people to function. And that's not even getting into forcing colorblind people to take Advanced Targetting as one of their implants, whether they would have wanted the functionality it offered others or not.