PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Niche vs customizable vehicle roles.
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-29, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Niche vs customizable vehicle roles.

Originally Posted by Haro View Post
I was thinking along the lines of radar dishes and antennae, but the bulbous features could really work as well. Another thing could be to completely change the nature of the weapon: rather than having tank AA weapons as standard cannons, make them flak batteries or missile launchers. I'm a bit less concerned about air assets, as their high speed and ability to fly at high altitudes could make identification difficult in any situation, and their roles tend to vary less.
How do aircraft roles vary less? Air-to-Ground is very different from Air-to-Air. That's an entirely different role that will have significantly different strengths.

Doesn't really matter how they make the turret different, so long as it is different enough to be easily identifiable. Same thing goes for role differences on anything else.

An important part of a game is understanding that when you see a target that you can recognize what it is and have a chance at understanding what it is capable of doing to you. When it can be everything under the sun and they all look the same, that's a poor game design. They do a pretty good job at infantry being visually distinct in their role and capabilities, but vehicles are rather poor in that respect.