PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Niche vs customizable vehicle roles.
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-29, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Haro
Master Sergeant

Re: Niche vs customizable vehicle roles.

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
How do aircraft roles vary less? Air-to-Ground is very different from Air-to-Air. That's an entirely different role that will have significantly different strengths.

Doesn't really matter how they make the turret different, so long as it is different enough to be easily identifiable. Same thing goes for role differences on anything else.

An important part of a game is understanding that when you see a target that you can recognize what it is and have a chance at understanding what it is capable of doing to you. When it can be everything under the sun and they all look the same, that's a poor game design. They do a pretty good job at infantry being visually distinct in their role and capabilities, but vehicles are rather poor in that respect.
Well, the only aircraft that really makes a large shift in its primary role from air-to-air to air-to-ground are the empire specific fighters. As far as I know, and maybe I'm wrong, but the Liberator will likely stay in an bomber/gunship role, so there's not a lot to adjust there, and I feel like the Galaxy's weapons primarily are primarily defensive, and therefore (not counting the gunship, which is likely a ways off.) It's not to say that there shouldn't be distinguishing characteristics for them, there should be, I just don't think it's as high of a priority as it is for tanks.

That said... I think the fighters could use large missiles instead of rocket pods for air-to-air, to differentiate. Maybe experiment with different shaped wings or fins or... whatever the scythe or whatever it's called has.