PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Naval Warfare and Potential "Continent"
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Re: Naval Warfare and Potential "Continent"

Since it may have been missed in that long write-up, I want to reiterate that this idea is not meant to be something I would expect to see on launch, but something for future patches down the road. For launch, I absolutely think that the developers should focus on the 3 continents they already have, and not worry about ships or boats at this time.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I know you probably spent a while on this, but any concept which requires special continents and removes land warfare and the infantry, ground, and air trinity isn't going to work well in Planetside.
The only reason it would require special continents is the lack of design to allow for naval warfare currently. Ultimately, as I said in my above post, it wouldn't remove land warfare entirely, it would simply be that there was less land warfare locations on that given continent. It would still be very much available on the continent, just at fewer locations.

I am in no way advocating taking away from something, only adding.

It's on par with the numerous other naval threads and space combat threads where people introduced new vehicles to make their concept work and focused on primarily on powerful multicrew vehicles. Also I feel water should be a hazard and not something used for gameplay. (The fact that the VS can still possibly hover over it is bad enough and hurt your concept).
Well, water can still be a hazard if that's what people want, I've made no mention of whether or not you can swim in water for example, and as far as VS Magriders, you could have a utility for the other two main battle tanks to become Amphibious to counter-act that somewhat. They still wouldn't have the strafing capability of Magriders and would be less manueverable on water, but it would alleviate some of the concerns related to that.

Alternatively, Magriders could be limited to shallow water such as rivers, lakes, and shores, and be unable to go further out into the sea.

Also you make a comment that "ships are fun" which is extremely subjective. I don't find driving a boat in a game enjoyable at all.
Of course it is subjective. "First Person Shooters are fun!" Is also subjective. Whether you personally find driving a boat, aircraft, tank, ATV, or whatever fun or not is entirely up to your preferences (and how well driving mechanics for those are implemented). I personally don't get very excited with tank play, but that doesn't mean that others don't find it a very enjoyable and satisfying part of the game or that they shouldn't have been put into the game.

Your list of downsides should have given you a hint that something locked to only water is going to have problems in a game with ever-shifting front lines. You also don't want vehicles to be useless in most of the continents.
Of course I'm aware of the potential problems, however, I think the fact that there are numerous threads commenting on naval warfare in one form or another shows that there is interest, and that it may be worth looking into down the line in spite of the inherent logistics problems with ships.

Also as much as I hate jumping to conclusion your designs sound more overpowered than a BFR.
Fair criticism. Having not played the game personally it is hard to say what is overpowered or not and what the standard of balance will be will no doubt go through changes both in Beta and after release, however, I would absolutely expect any and all of these things to be subject to balance and heavy modification to ensure that they work and work fairly. The Leviathan idea is also highly experimental, and I grant it is not the most likely to see play... but it has potential to be very awesome, so I included it anyway.

Last edited by Flaropri; 2012-06-15 at 08:53 AM.