PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Squad Remote Artillery Vehicles
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-17, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Squad Remote Artillery Vehicles

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
Concerns:
If the AOE is large, squads will use these and spam.
If the AOE is small, it may infringe on man-held launchers.

Removing the "because it's cool" aspect, what new role does this weapon serve? Non-vehicle origin AV = shoulder launchers. Would this be a higher damage, outdoor only, stationary only version of the same?

New ideas need to have a point, not be redundant and need to take into account the "what if 50 people did it" factor.
Good points. Yeah I was imagining small precise hits that deal a lot of damage. It serves as a long range assist for squads. The travel time makes it different than normal infantry AV in that upon tagging a target you must wait for the shell to travel through the air.

Regarding the "50 people did it" it's not that big of a problem. It requires a person to actually fire a shell by tagging a target location for each shell so someone must be at the target. Killing that person or simply flying and destroying the artillery vehicle would suffice to stop the threat.

I think it opens up some room for hitting stationary targets without bringing in the huge AOE of an orbital strike since the artillery would be a precise damage weapon. For instance, if you saw a plane you could just tag it with your squad's available artillery and it would get hit. A cloaker in this sense could sneak up to a sniper (or even a regular player at 50 meters) and tag their location. I'm imagining a tail on the artillery that goes for a ways so it's possible for someone see these shells or hear them before they hit. They might not realize before it's too late that they were the target.

Also regarding the "it's cool" factor I think it would make the skies on a continent look amazing having these fly through the air while you fly or drive vehicles.

Also regarding another problem someone mentioned "so these could easily take out wall turrets?". Wall turrets and AA could shoot these down. I think that's fair if they travel slowly.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-17 at 11:43 AM.