PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - HOW IS THERE NO THREAD ON D3's RELEASE DATE?
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-14, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Vancha
Colonel

Re: HOW IS THERE NO THREAD ON D3's RELEASE DATE?

Originally Posted by Rubius View Post
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with you, but consider that the driving, FPS, and platform genres have many, many games being made today, and their styles are still considered modern, and the status-quo... where as the "diablo genre" of point-and-click doesn't have much else going for it. (a few indie games come to mind).

So Diablo is the outlier here, and you can't use the same rhetoric as other modern games to judge it.

So this begs another question, if Diablo is as fun as other genres of games, why aren't more games like Diablo (top-down, point-and-click) being made today?
In order of release...

Sacred 2004
FATE 2005
Titan Quest 2006
Loki: Heroes of Mythology 2007
Legend: Hand of God 2007
Sacred 2 2009
Torchlight 2010
Path of Exile (in development)
Grim Dawn (in development)
Sacred 3 (in development)
Torchlight 2 (in development)

That's not including the Dungeon Siege games, which I thought were something else entirely, but apparently aren't.

Yes, there's less of them, but that could be for any number of reasons. Maybe they're harder to develop, maybe they take more time or more money, maybe they're harder to innovate with or maybe they're harder to code. Maybe big publishers don't like them for some reason.

I've used Legend of Grimrock as an example of under-utilized genre, now let me use MMOFPS. MMOFPS are under-explored, barely any exist and none of them have been wildly successful...Does that make it a bad genre? No. As Planetside fans we know the wall has been down to technology, but people who are less in the know might come to the conclusion that MMOFPS' are a bad genre. I simply don't know enough about the ARPG scene and the issues that present themselves when developing one, but considering how popular they still are (primarily D3, T2 and GD), I find it quite likely that the reason for their scarcity is something other than it being irrelevant/unfun/uninteresting.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-14 at 11:35 AM.