Thread: A Cloakers plea
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-22, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: A Cloakers plea

A couple of things.

Barring straight up hacks, I don't think gamma fiddling or new video cards will be a problem. No modern shooter -besides- PS has had this issue. Maybe Tribes 2, dunno.

As far as cloaker exposure, it comes down to everyone who -isn't- invisible hating and/or fearing everyone who is. Play TF2 for a while. Everyone and their dog does what is called Spychecking. Basically meleeing, shooting or straight up unloading on every friendly unit that walks by to make sure it isn't a spy. Sucks for spies but if they don't then it's backstab city and engineer nests getting demolished left and right. PS's analogue is the paranoid DL flicker. If a fly farts, toggle on/off. Sucks for cloakers but, again, backstab city and destroyed assets. We've yet to hear about their cloaker balance plans but if they're too liberal, expect players to make a stink between launch and server shutdown.

Personally, I'm a fan of keeping invisible units as something to be feared. As a long time spy player and, before that, cloaker, it's a rough life. I feel that games tend to cater to the rest of the classes. TF2 has found a nice balance but the skill floor for spy is much higher than most classes. PS1, on the other hand, left infiltrating as a novelty; it was frairly impotent and without a real role specifically due to a combination of interlinks, DL and CR pings. And, no, putting on an infil suit for 30 seconds to drop an OS doesn't count as a "role".

Hopefully, PS2 cloakers are being designed not from a "hey, invisibility is cool" standpoint but, instead, from that of a specific role. Then the question of whether or not CR pings should reveal all units (and skills and implants to block or not and...) will not be one of "invisibility is bad" but whether or not the intentional role should be compromised. Until we know what dev wants cloakers to do with their time, we can't begin to really suss out what should and shouldn't be allowed. Barring gamma tweaks, of course.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.