PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2
View Single Post
Old 2011-07-21, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Nah Reaver is a single person vehicle in PS2. Higby mentioned the change earlier. They're essentially the same role as in PS1.
The definition of "bouncing" in this context, is "changing back and forth". The devs have been quite clear on the fluidity of their design at this point.

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Why do you feel it's not based around teamwork. It would be a fairly weak vehicle. I think many Mossy/Reaver pilots would disagree with you that a single person vehicle can't be part of a team. I could definitely see one of these mechs staying around people for protection.
I think we must have fundamentally different understandings of why the BFR failed. The fact that it was (I'm told) hilariously OP at launch merely amplified the underlying issue.
The problem with the BFR is that it's a single player vehicle in a multi player game.
Note that I said player, not person. Lightnings pull back to repair crews to get fixed. The BFR has regenerative health. It doesn't need air support, or armor support, or infantry cover, it can do all of those things on its own. It doesn't need to be transported, or saved from difficult situations, it can autorun. And fly(). In the jigsaw puzzle of Planetside, it's a piece with 4 flat edges. Sony tried to fix it by nerfing it, but it's broken fundamentally because it's anathema to the idea behind the game. Team based combat on a strategic scale.
Your mechs have that same feel. They're superfluous. They don't fit unless you try to hammer them into the spot currently occupied by infantry and maxes. If they're strong enough to do their jobs, no one with the cert points will bother to use infantry or maxes. If they're nerfed enough not to threaten balance, no one will use them and they'll be wasted development resources.

If the only reason you want these is because "mechs are cool" then my equally well reasoned reply is "not really".