PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Priority targets - squad leader assigned.
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dagron
Captain

Re: Priority targets - squad leader assigned.

Originally Posted by Kriegson View Post
Aiming at someone is not made easier by marking them...
I find it much easier to just aim below the big glowy arrow in my HUD than at an object that is subjct to visibility conditions (lighting, weather, etc), that can be camouflaged (people's opinions aside, right now it's in the game) or that can be constantly changing shape and size (crouching/jumping/dancing).

I fail to see your logic here. "Ensure someone gets gangbanged" obviously we want everyone shooting the medic, not the heavy (in TF2 terms). Or in this case perhaps the engineer and not the MAX he is healing.
(...)
Turning into a target for the whole army is blown out of proportion
We do want people to focus on targets, but a system that makes that into something trivial pretty much ensures that everyone will shoot at the glowy target.
Let's not make focus fire so easy that it effectively reduces life expectancy to a brief moment.

If anything this HELPS newbs,casuals and weak players by having someone more experienced marking what they should be shooting at for them, hopefully coordinating and teaching them the game in general if they are in said players squad.
(...)
By being a priority target and being on the field, knowlegable players will call you out on VOIP and focus fire on you.
I don't like what modern games do to the gaming community. Holding people's hands like they're toddlers doesn't help them become better players.

That being said, the ability to coordenate your actions with your team is part of the game's basic skills. Using VOIP for coordenation is good, having an automated system to do so isn't. It turns players into mindless robots...
If we start removing required skills from the table, soon we won't even need to aim anymore, just tab-target and press keys until our fireballs and lightning bolts lay waste to the oposing team.

Before you say so: i'm not hardcore, in fact i'm the most casual gamer i know. I do have some understanding of the serious play style though, and i know how important it's needs are.

"Ruin the experience for a lot of people?" I hardly see how.
You may not feel it would ruin the game for you, but hopefully now you see my perspective.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-16 at 01:05 AM.