PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Gameplay: Priority targets - squad leader assigned.
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-15, 10:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Dagron
Captain

Re: Priority targets - squad leader assigned.

Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
Just to be clear, i'm suggesting this is a perk for a certain command rank. It would be something the squad/platoon leader did to mark targets for his team only. Not visible to anyone outside his team but to basically direct his fellows.
(...)
It perhaps wasn't so clear in my first post that I intended this to be purely for the squad/platoon to use.
You were clear, i just felt so strongly about that suggestion that i exaggerated, saying the whole army would see the mark. Being a little dramatic in my reactions is a bad habit i sometimes display.

I admit that was wrong of me as it would distort people's view of your proposition. I'm sorry.

Back on topic:

In my view, 10 people targeting the same player would be enough to ensure they died too quickly.

I also didn't mention a cap but lets say only 2/3 guys can be "painted" for special prejudice.
Just 1 would already be enough to cause mayhem: Squad Leader paints Target > Boom! Target dead > Rinse & repeat.
The game would quickly deteriorate into "which squad burns down the other more quickly?".

You do occasionally just get that one guy that rapes multiple guys repeatedly be it because of high skills, an OP loadout or semi-abusive use of a crutch that gives him an upper hand. This just allows a squad leader to point the guy out easilly to his team, not much beyond that.
Your intentions may not be much beyond that, but they have to consider all the possibile ways in which something is going to affect the game before implementing it, not just it's intended purpose.

For example, it being used to balance things out against OP loadouts or crutches wouldn't work, it would just unbalance them even more as the OP people would also use it. Not just that... it would definitely be used by everyone all the time. It's a powerful tool that people wouldn't only remember when they were being raped.

Plus, that would be unfair to the guy who worked hard to be the best, as he would be the focus of every squad that recognized him and would effectively be prevented from playing.
IMO, if a player deserves that kind of attention, they also deserve to only be taken down by the most organized forces, not by any squad of beginners who just found out how to press a key to mark a priority target.
(In my previous post i talk about my views on the importance of the ability to coordenate and why it shouldn't be replaced by a keystroke.)

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-15 at 11:14 PM.