PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Seriously mods R possible anyone interested?
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-21, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
XxAxMayxX
Sergeant

Question Seriously mods R possible anyone interested?

AGN just ended and I tried to get a question answered on the show. I did spam it a bit and Im sorry... It was to get attention to it because for me its an important topic. I was asking if there was any interest in localhost mods. It is an MMO but you can still mod it. How moding works with say TF2 (prior 2 steam workshop) is you have 2 sets of code server side which is usually the level file and effects, and there is clientside the data stored on you're harddrive. If in planetside the clientside data includes things like animations weapon models and player models then you can do mods with only a few simple world assets and plugins (maybe some lighting and particles but not much else). Much like a game such as minecraft with some net code you could in theory host such a mod on you're pc or a real server.

But what use does it have? It depends on what the mod is it could just be stupidity or something like an outfit training ground, a quad bike race track or a set for a PS2 machinima. With a little more work you could intigrate some planetside models into Source filmaker. This would all depend on what data is stored clientside instead of server side. Its not that crazy if you think about it, and without some serious cash you wouldn't be able to host a real planetside continent.

THIS WOULD IN NO WAY INVOLVE ACTUAL SOE SERVERS (HACK FREE) ONLY THE CODE ON YOU"RE HARDRIVE AND AN EXTREME AMOUNT OF WORK

What does everyone think would this be interesting?

4 clarification these mods would not be used on a full server, also this would require a tremendous amount of work you would have to use allot of net code to be able to host a server probably for only 30 people. The filling in of gaps would be huge just to get a very simple mod to work and have a friend (most likely on lan) to join. Please stop with the hacking comments and the NOT HAPPENING comments. This is a big huge IF! nothing set in stone

Last edited by XxAxMayxX; 2012-07-21 at 10:12 PM.