PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Balancing Factor: Resource Storage Limit
View Single Post
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-18, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Balancing Factor: Resource Storage Limit

Originally Posted by MikeChance View Post
Malorn, you are quite right.

I'm infantry. In PS1 I build squads and platoons and run around shooting people. I don't use grenades. I find them messy.

If I'm in the middle of a battle defending a base, and suddenly I am faced with "leave and spend your pay or don't get any"... I'm gonna leave. My squad/platoon is gonna break up or leave, and if I'm maxing out then quite likely so are others, so they are likely to leave - at increasing rates as more people leave because we're now losing ground.
That's not adaptation - that's discovery that you aren't spending enough and need to use loadouts with more upgrades. How you adapt to it is by picking more upgrades for your infantry, implants, medkits, tanks, or whatever. Youll make new loadouts and you'll change your spending habits so you won't be in that situation or are less likely to be.

And I'm also quite certain that you won't have to go anywhere to use the shop - it's a UI option, not a place.

People seem to think resources are only used for the in game shop - they aren't. They're used to pull vehicles, get night vision scope, upgrade your rifle, add stuff to your tank, etc. I believe one type of resource is used in the shop to buy a few things, it is unknown if that is also used for other stuff.

If you find you're hording too much and reaching the resource cap its time you re-evaluated your loadouts and pimp them out a bit more.

I expect for most things we do we'll have at least two loadouts - a low resource loadout for when the budget is tight and balls-to-the-wall loadouts for when you've got good resource income and have some things to burn. There will be specialty loadouts in there too of course, but managing resources is important so it will be reflected in our loadouts.