PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - Breakthrough & Exploitation
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-28, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Breakthrough & Exploitation

I realize this isnt a real war sim, but there are enough aspects for me to bring this up, that said, here goes.

I am concerned about the timing of hacks, specifically the minimum amount of time it takes to hack any given structure. The reason I say this is because of the limits it puts on the ability to achieve breakthrough and exploitation. I realize, also, that we are not dealing with the russian front, but even on this scale, there will be opportunities for, say, 100 or so soldiers to break the enemies lines.

This, is opportune for exploitation by mechanized elements to push deeper, causing penetration and chaos in the local area, so as to force the opposition to redefine their line. The hack timers will not cause a problem for a breakthrough, but if the "backhack limiter" will not allow for areas surrounded by enemy territory to hack expeditiously, there will be no tactical reward for, as the Germans call it, a "schwerpunct"... punching an actual hole in the enemy line, and exploiting it.

If they have an algorithm in place already that places front line, and the immediately rearward hexes, on the same timers, there may be no problem. I think, however, its probably set for just the front line hexes, since they described it as adjacency.

Therefore this leaves me with the question of how fast does the area (hexcluster) transfer ownership, if all nodes are on hack? If it is very fast, then no problem, just hacknattack ad infinatum... exploitation PS2 style. However, if it is on the order of 15 minutes, then I do not think we can get exploitation, just very local breakthroughs only... I personally think the ensueing chaos of enemies loose in the backfield sounds like a lot of fun...

Maybe this is a little over the top for this game, but we do have the population, hex-based wide frontage, mechanized wherewithall, and depth of territory to support it.

Kein Plan überlebt die erste Feindberührung. Res ad triarios venit... μολὼν λαβέ!

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-05-28 at 12:53 AM.