PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - MLG Thoughts and Feedback
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-01, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: MLG Thoughts and Feedback

I've been watching some of the MLG stuff recently and while I like what I see, I have to agree with reddit. If PS2 wants to put on it's game face then it doesn't need casters, however top notch they are, it needs Planetside players. It's nothing against the current casters but it almost feels too professional. These are busy guys who may or may not be leading platoons day in and day out. PS2 MLG needs to grow from the game, and for that it needs to be cast by someone who can look at a MAX crash and see how that particular fight fits in overall.
Without the ability for someone watching to 'latch' on to a specific player or outfit the streams and commentary is limited to the observer cam. It's a great tool, no doubt but it does have it's limitations. One of the observer cam's strengths though is that it can 'zoom out' and show the overall effort. For that kind of viewing experience we need a different casting style. One not so much focused on specific players but on the overarching shit that's going down.
The casters set the tone for the entire show and IMHO, these guys need to quit their day jobs, get drunk and do nothing but play Planetside 2 for a few weeks. They need to nerd it up, lead platoons, talk on leader chat. Just go out and get into the nitty gritty, the obscure and the strategy. Then they shall be ready to cast.\

EDIT: In response to your question Hamma, Hell no two people ain't gonna cut it. Maybe to cast it sure, but they'll need at least a half dozen camera guys to ensure the best vantage point while still covering ancillary areas in case of random bad ass.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Last edited by bpostal; 2013-07-01 at 11:28 PM.