PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?
View Single Post
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-02, 11:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: If Planetside 2 is succesfull who is gonna steal is thunder?

The biggest threat to PlanetSide 2 is PlanetSide 2.

For me PlanetSide was and remains the best game ever made. What destroyed it wasn't WoW or Halo or EVE or any outside party; it was PS's own development team that lost sight of the vision and butchered the game.

While fears of pay-to-win have subsided, they still linger as latent fears among many that I talk to. There's that fear that one day when the game is successful, they'll go and screw it up. They'll get greedy or think they can slide on something and it'll cascade into something that ruins the game. BFRs, Pay-to-Win, becoming a session shooter or attempting to carve PS2 into an ESport - these are all things that I see that loom as the harbingers of doom for PlanetSide 2. And its easy to see how any of them could slip in either because they think it might be cool or they see it as an opportunity to expand the business or appeal to more customers.

All we can do is wait and hope that they stay true to the essence of PlanetSide, don't over-reach, and keep the core gameplay principles in mind at all times when making changes.