PlanetSide Universe - View Single Post - ESF Air to Air Feedback for Devs
View Single Post
Old 2013-05-13, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
phungus
Master Sergeant

Re: ESF Air to Air Feedback for Devs

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
I have to ask phungus, how are you expecting them to do a 3-d mini-map?

From what I remember from Second Life, those kinds of displays are a lot more resource intensive then then the X-Y-Rotation over a map picture we have now.
Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
Oh I know it's very much possible with the Positional Data already in the game, but the problem becomes how to DISPLAY it!

That's what made them impractical in Second Life, since such a HUD had to be a rotating Sphere with you at the center, any client around you represented by a point set at their relative position, and the entire set up would mirror your rotations.

It's a bit more complicated then just getting their Global X-Y position and rotation then correlating that to the picture of the ground you see on your Current Mini-map, so I wonder how feasible it really is.
it doesn't need to be perfect. Sensory perception in humans is incredibly fluid and can even spontaniously create new systems to process non hardwired sensory data. Look at older games and how they did it, there are numerous examples of old games on the NES that handled 3d radar - it just needs to be functional, currently the minimap for ESFs is just the infantry minimap, designed for ifantry combat but a little bit bigger. There were functional 3d radars in older games that pretty much ignored the front-back axis (should be very simple to code) but the player can subconsiously figure this out based on what they are seeing, and after a day was never really an issue.

I don't think there needs to be a perfect 3d minimap for ESFs, they just need something that actually takes into account they are ESFs and not infantry. Currently the minimap information is designed for infantry to attack infantry, it's not surprise then that ESFs find themselves focusing on infantry...